In San Antonio, and all over the world, there is a danger lurking in nearly every home. It is a silent killer that can creep up on you when you least expect it. Carbon monoxide kills more than 450 people a year and puts tens of thousands in the hospital. It is an extremely dangerous and toxic chemical. The best way to prevent such tragedy is to be proactive and protect yourself against CO poisoning.
Just about every home in San Antonio has an appliance that emits carbon monoxide. Not only do gas appliances emit it, but also space heaters, oil or kerosene heaters, and even fireplaces and wood stoves. Most of the time, these appliances are relatively harmless, but occasionally something can go wrong.
According to the CDC, there are many ways in which you can prevent CO poisoning. Never use a gas range to heat your home. Though rarely needed in San Antonio, on those rare cold nights it is not a good idea. Don’t leave a motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed area. Vehicles emit carbon monoxide. Never use any sort of grill indoors. If conditions are too hot or too cold, and you think you need to use an appliance to stay warm or cool, seek shelter at a friend’s home. It is always important to protect your home.
Carbon Monoxide is extremely damaging to the body. It reduces your blood’s ability to carry much-needed oxygen through your system. Breathing in even a small amount of carbon monoxide can cause; headaches, nausea, dizziness, weakness, confusion, and disorientation. If you think you have CO poisoning seek immediate medical care. In some extreme cases, high levels of carbon monoxide can cause people to pass out and even die due to asphyxiation. Prevention is key, and the first step is getting the tips to protect your family.
One of the ways you can help prevent this is by getting professional maintenance on all heating systems and any appliance that uses gas, oil, or coal. It is essential that you get annual maintenance by a professional on both gas furnaces and water heaters. Keeping up on household maintenance can not only protect your family, but improve energy efficiency which can save you money, and it’s good for the planet. It can help decrease unexpected repairs that can get costly and, of course, prevent carbon monoxide from getting into your living space and endangering your loved ones.
Carbon monoxide detectors are also a very good resource to have. It can give you peace of mind, especially if a leak occurs while you are sleeping. Much like a smoke alarm a carbon monoxide detector will let you know when gas levels are too high in your living space. It can save your life and the lives of family or guests. Just installing the detector next to a gas furnace or water heater can help you to rest easy. Nothing is better than knowing you have complete safety at home.