Home security is an ever-present concern in recent years and stories about burglars abound. That’s a fact not to be taken lightly if you are trying to protect your property.
A recent recession, a nationwide opioid epidemic and sophisticated monitoring devices have made breaking and entering easier and more prevalent, particularly in our nation’s cities. In a city like San Antonio your chances of being the victim of a property-related crime is 1 in 18, according to Neighborhood Scout, while 96 percent of the cities in the nation are safer than San Antonio when it comes to crime in general.
There are many factors that can contribute to a crime wave in a particular area and many law enforcement strategies can be employed. Yet. surprisingly, the greatest contributor to crime prevention can be vigilance at the local level according to a recent university study.
If you’re a storekeeper or homeowner who is concerned about how to protect your property and stop worrying about burglars, the following security tips can be useful, if not absolutely mandatory to protect your property.
- Keep the phone numbers or texting information of your local law enforcement personnel handy, on your smartphone or on a card in your wallet or purse.
- Don’t be a stranger. Get to know your neighbors. Make arrangements to share responsibility for taking in the mail when either you or your neighbors are on vacation.
- Use an app like Nextdoor, which serves as a private social network for the neighborhood and can keep local residents informed about what’s happening in the area, both good and bad.
- While personal firearms are not always welcome in many communities, pepper spray can be a life-saver when there are no other alternatives available. Keep some handy. Just in case.
- Perhaps, most importantly, statics show that crime declines in neighborhoods where home security systems are prevalent. The more home security systems installed, the fewer break-ins and burglaries.
While crime may be on the rise in many areas, there are also strategies at the neighborhood level that can help you protect your property and dramatically reduce the number of crimes when implemented judiciously. And while the latest technology can help determined felons size up a potential target, it can also scare them away. Home security and other safety tips can go a long way in making your neighborhood a safe and secure place to live. And great cities like San Antonio can be a safer place to live, as well as a magnet for tourists from all over the world.