Life down in San Antonio can be a breeze when all goes according to plan. But unfortunately, home invasion crime is everywhere and San Antonio is no exception. Today in the United States 4 home invasions happen every minute, which is about 1 every 15 seconds! When you take the time to understand these statistics alone, it really puts things in perspective. Whether you’ve decided to arm yourself with a home security system or implement some DIY protection methods on your property, it’s important to keep the following facts in the back of your mind at all times.
Did you know…?
1) At least 60% of all burglars use some sort of force to get into a home. At least 30% gain access through an unlocked door. You’d think these two would be flip-flopped somehow, but statistics don’t lie. This means that you security plan really needs to be strong enough to withstand any intrusive outside force. It also needs to cover all areas, especially the more vulnerable spots. A vulnerable spot leaves a message that there is still a chance. By erasing this opportunity, you are sending a direct message to the intruder.
2) Most thieves will do research before entering a person’s home. Most thieves will see if there is an alarm system already in place. This determines whether they enter the house or not. According to this recent study, most thieves have admitted they run away once they begin to hear the sounds from the alarm. Some studies in the past have shown that a higher percentage might still stick around. In the past, sticking around proved there was something of value in the house for them to have. They did this, even if it meant getting caught. These recent statistics are good to know, because it shows the logic of your basic intruder is changing. A majority of them won’t stay around anymore, even if it means leaving behind the item of value. They don’t want to get caught.
3) A study conducted showed that only 33% admit to using the front door to gain access. Keep this idea in mind when putting up the alarms and lighting sensors. This 33% will not enter a home if lighting sensors or tracking devices make themselves present. This concludes that these resources do work.
4) More studies are finding that wireless security systems are the best way to go. This is because about 25% of all intruders have admitted to cutting the wires before going in. There is less mess to clean up with a wireless system. A wireless system is also less vulnerable than all the others. The other security systems might be cheaper, but a wireless plan will be more practical. It’s also going to take up less space, because it doesn’t require as much.
5) Studies also show that an intruder is more likely to come back to a home they have already been to. Some intruders take the first trip, just to get to know the layout of your home. An intruder will not stop until he or she gets everything they came for.
6) When you line up all the intrusions, about 25% of all homeowners were home at the time. This 25% also faced some sort of physical violence due to being home. This proves that more homeowners need to take precautions to protect themselves.
Don’t wait to become the next statistic! Arm yourself with the facts and get smart about home security.